Sep 07, 2019 - Public Hearing BID Operation
Attention BID Members
In accordance with state law, the City of Peekskill must pass a local ordinance to extend the BID and its ability to operate. We are seeking to renew the BID to align with the District Management Association Plan which expires September 12, 2021 in order to reduce costs associated with two separately timed renewal requirements. To consider our request, the City is scheduled to hold a public hearing on Monday, September 9, 2019 at 7:30pm in the Council Chambers at City Hall, as required.
With other downtown communities competing for business and state funding, the BID remains vital and relevant to our downtown’s economic resurgence. We congratulate the City of Peekskill on being named this year’s recipient of the state’s $10 million Downtown Revitalization grant, announced earlier this month by Governor Cuomo. This grant will be transformative for the city and will help expand tourism, spur economic development and improve property values.
We were delighted to support the city’s efforts from the outset with a letter of support and funding for the creation of a compelling video that ultimately became part of the city’s winning presentation. We are excited to work with our state, county and city partners in transforming Peekskill into the model 21st century city that residents and tourists alike can enjoy.
As we look back on our accomplishments, we wanted to share some of the highlights so far in 2019:
- Worked in collaboration with City on $10 million Downtown Revitalization Initiative Grant proposal, which the city was awarded! BID contributed and helped raise additional donations to produce an award-winning video, used in the presentation.
- Worked in collaboration with city and chamber to bring Miss NY Competition to Peekskill’s Paramount Theater and assisted event hosts with business contacts.
- Issued letters of support for a number of important grants and funding: Tree Grant by Conservation Advisory Council for inventorying of trees including downtown; DRI Grant letter of support for $10M revitalization grant for Downtown; Fleishman’s pier rebuilding grant; sewer infrastructure analysis grant; Fort Hill signage and trail markings grant; CDBG Microenterprise application to NYS.
- Working with City Planning Dept. on drafting audio scripts for a new smartphone app that the NYS Bridge Authority will launch geared towards visitors driving along the Hudson River.
- Through cost savings and event income, the BID added $31,000 to its reserve fund, bringing the total to about $60,000.
- Successfully presented first-ever Summer Sounds Festival; supported the opening of large art display in the former Ford Piano Building.
- Successfully lobbied city to place “don’t block the box” markings at entrance to K lot on Main Street to ease traffic backups.
- Met with County Executive George Latimer regarding business issues and needs in Peekskill and to discuss re-introduction of shuttle service and intra-city transportation options.
- Outreach: BID & City attended Business Council of Westchester WEXPO, Grand Central Weekend GetAway event, and Palisades Metro North Day Trip event to promote tourism.
- Established Gazebo Committee to encourage city to refurbish Gazebo area (plantings, cleaning and painting) on a short term basis and to make recommendations on long term plans.
- BID Board approved funding for another, more extensive Paramount RFP and provided expertise referrals, to the City.
- BID relayed concerns regarding undesirable Diven Street activities, and city took action.
- Board planted 50 flower barrels for second year in a row, saving $10K. Hired company to professionally trim the overgrown boxwoods.
- Managing and presenting successful Peekskill Farmers Market (indoor and outdoor).
- Managing and presenting successful Peekskill Flea Market.
- Peekskill Banner Program: after designing and securing funding for series of five banners, banners were installed in the Spring through out the downtown.
- Helped to secure additional year of funding from Wheelabrator ($20,000) for continuation of street sweeper program with KEON Center.
- BID radio and marketing Support for AIM Weekend, PAA Open Studios Weekend, St. Patrick’s Parade & March Events, Peekskill Film Festival, Juneteenth Parade, Fourth of July Parade, Farmers Market, Flea Market, and Summer Sounds.
- Managing fully engaged BID Facebook Page for greater outreach to BID Members and non-members.
- Regularly updating and adding minutes, events, and BID news and information for greater outreach and transparency to BID Members on discoverpeekskill.com.
- Board Members & Executive Director attended multiple ribbon-cuttings and grand openings at multiple locations.
- Appointed Ivy Fairchild to Board of Directors because of her experience with BID in New York City area and her business experience in helping non-profits.
- Extended Executive Director’s contract to August 2020.
Please let us know if you need additional information or assistance by emailing us @ firstname.lastname@example.org.